I know most peoples new years resolutions have been to start a diet or eat more healthily but what with the weather being so awful and people just starting back to work after a few weeks off, I think everyone deserves a cheeky treat.
For one of my christmas presents I was bought a bright pink, mini cupcake maker which I wasn’t expecting but it was an amazing surprise. I love to bake but I think I love eating the end product more! So as a treat to all of you i’ve picked one of my favourite recipes – Chocolate and Hazelnut from The Hummingbird Bakery cook book.
- Cooking Time: 20
- Servings: 12
- Preparation Time: 15
- 100g plain flour
- 20g cocoa powder
- 140g caster sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- a pinch of salt
- 40g butter, at room temp.
- 120ml milk (the recipe said whole milk, but I just used semi and they turned out okay!)
- 1 egg
- 120g nutella
- chopped hazelnuts to decorate
- For the icing
- 250g icing sugar
- 80g butter, at room temp
- 25 ml milk
- 80g nutella
1. Preheat the oven to gas 3/170c/325
2. Put the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder, salt and butter in a bowl and mix together. You can use an electric hand whisk for this. It should be a slightly sandy/grainy texture
3. Pour the milk into the mixture and mix. Then add the egg and beat until it’s all incorporated.
4. Spoon the mixture into cupcakes cases in a muffin tin, filling to about halfway or 2/3 full. They rise quite a bit. Bake for 15-20 minutes.
5. Leave to cool completely, then cut out a little circle in the cupcake. Pop the loose piece of cake out, insert a dollop of nutella, then put the cake piece back ontop so you have a filled cupcake.
For the icing
Mix all the above ingredients together until incorporated and continue mixing for about 5 minutes. The more mixing, the fluffier the icing! Use a palette knife to ice the cupcakes, then sprinkle with a bit of chopped hazelnut. Enjoy!
Hope you all have a great time making them and please let me know how you got on! More recipes will be popping up very soon here at Red Riot.